Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DIY: Prettify Your Closet Space with Pearl and Fabric Hangers!

If you're like me, you probably can't stand the look of boring closet space. Lately it's been the hangers that have been bugging me. I have this great closet, chalk full of pretty little vintage dresses on these nasty black and copper wire hangers! So I just had to remedy the situation!

Luckily for me, I've got strands and strands of these fat fake pearls, and I realized that they fit right over the wire!

What You'll Need

Wire Hangers
Big fake pearls (make sure the openings are wide enough)
Wire cutters
Epoxy
Ribbon

So just take your wire cutters and cut right at the base where the hanger joins, beneath the side that hooks. From there, just start adding your pearls one by one until the entire base of the hanger is all filled up and beautiful.
Now on the last pearl you attach to the base, fill the pearl with epoxy and then slide it on. The epoxy will keep everything in place.
Repeat this on the hook of the hanger, and finish off again with a single epoxy filled pearl.
You should just have a tiny part of the hook that is made of twisted wire left visible. Take a pretty ribbon and wrap it around once or twice, before tying it into a bow.
Now you've got a pretty hanger for your pretty clothes!

Don't have enough pearls? Ah, don't sweat it. I realized that one necklace only did about one to one and a half hangers, so I only made enough for my fanciest clothes. For the rest, I decided to try something a little different, but equally easy!

Fabric hangers from my old, worn out vintage dresses!

What You'll Need

Wooden Hangers (I found these worked best, and looked better)
Elmers white glue
water
fabric
epoxy

 I got my inspiration from a paper mache project I did back in elementary school. I really liked the idea I saw on other DIY blogs, about just taking a piece of tape and taping one end and just wrapping from there... But I don't know if I'm just too rough with my clothes, or what, but the fabric slid around too much on the hanger.

So this is my remedy for girls who are violent hanger fiends like myself.

This will be messy, so hopefully this doesn't deter you.

To make the paper mache mix, just do 3/4 white glue to 1 part water and mix it all up.

Now cut up the fabric you want to put on your hangers into one long strip. How thin or thick you want your strip to be is completely up to you. I liked doing thicker strips, because it made my hangers look less messy.

Now like the pearl project, take the end of the strip and dab a bit of epoxy on it, attach it to the hanger at the base of the hook and let it dry for a moment. Take the rest of the strip and let it soak for a bit in the paper mache mix. Then begin to rap. When the entire hanger is rapped, set it aside and let it dry. At the very tip top, use the epoxy again to make sure that everything stays in place.

Usually it takes about four coats of paper mache mix to make everything stay in place. Just use a big paint brush and brush over everything a few times, every time it dries.

And it's as simple as that!

Enjoy you fashionistas!


2 comments:

  1. How big were the pearls you used on your hangers

    ReplyDelete
  2. How big were the pearls you used on your hangers

    ReplyDelete